Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Looking Ahead

I'm a big goal setter.  I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes from fixing a prize on the horizon, then methodically working my way to it and achieving it.  That trait has served me well in life, taught me how to overcome adversity, persevere, and keep on going when I really want to quit.  It got me across the finish line of the NYC marathon.  The great thing about that particular goal is that it is one I set for myself at least 15 years ago.  It took me that long to get there.  That accomplishment taught me one of the most valuable things I've ever learned.  Don't ever lose sight of the dream and never stop believing that it's achievable. And, remember that God's timeline is different from mine, but His timing is always perfect.

I try to set realistic goals for my life each year.  I look back at what has worked to get me closer to my goal and what hasn't worked.  I don't usually do this in January with all the other New Year's resolvers.  I typically do it on my birthday each year.  But, my past birthday, I was close to the end of my marathon training, so I put off my goal setting until after the marathon.  I've taken some time off to let my knee heal, and now I'm ready to get back to it.

So, along those lines, I'm setting a few new goals.

1- Be more faithful in my Bible study.
2- Do more speed and hill work.
3- Be faithful to my weekly yoga class.
4- Incorporate one additional day of strength training each week (especially upper body).
5- Sign up and train for at least one 5k and one 10k that are close to home.
6- Run more trails.
7- Lose that pesky 20 pounds that make running a lot less fun than it used to be.
8- Be more social in my running and try to run with someone at least twice a month.
9- Embrace the people in my life and put them first more often.  

I'm sure that I will add to this list, but it's a start.

Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 

1 comment:

  1. Going to be a great year Jayne! We need to make a pact about the hills and speed work!

    ReplyDelete