Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

One week!!

Wow!  It's almost here!!  I'm solidly in the taper now, having fully embraced it to the extent that I fear I'm getting fat and lazy.  I am being extra cautious about each run, not giving them hard efforts, and babying my legs & knees.  Legs still hurt, but maybe this is just a side effect of turning 50.   Anyway,  physically the taper is helping.  Mentally, not so much.

I'm more than a little antsy, not sleeping well, and when I do sleep I have really strange dreams.  The other night I dreamed that I got to the starting village and the race director wouldn't let me run because my legs weren't tan enough.  I woke up in a full sweat thinking I was going to have to go to the tanning bed.  It was a few minutes before I realized it was a dream.  Of course, looking at my pale legs makes me think the dream could have some validity.

Anyway, my thoughts have been unfocused and scattered for the last week, and I seem to be holding on to my last thread of sanity.   I'm keeping it together, but only just.



Remember when we were kids and the Christmas season came upon us?  Remember the excitement, the anticipation, the giddiness that grew in you as the day drew near?  That's me this week.  I am excited to the point of giddiness.  I have my suitcase packed and ready to ship tomorrow, race gear packed in my carry-on, NYC folder with race registration and expo info, Gary's map with subway info for race day, flight itinerary, hotel info, and Wicked tickets tucked safely in my computer bag.  Sixth row orchestra Wicked tickets.  Yes, I am definitely excited.

My blog was selected by the New York Road Runners to be a social media reporter for the race, so I'll be blogging every day while I am there.  Be sure to become a follower and subscribe to the RSS feed so that you can be there with me, if only in spirit.  I mentioned in my last post that this will be a prayer run for me, and I've already had several requests for various miles.  If you would like to be included, you can put your prayer and mile request in the comments here, or inbox me on Facebook or Daily mile, or send me an e-mail or text.  I would love to have as many of you with me running next Sunday as possible.

For those of you who have promised to be prayer warriors for me, here are my specific requests.
*Legs to be strong and pain free for the duration of the race.
*Good weather. Mainly no snow or rain, I can live with the cooler temps.
*My stomach content would stay put for the entire length of the race.  TMI, I know, but a sincere request nonetheless.
*I haven't set a time goal other than to finish, so pray that I will finish strong.  I would like to finish ahead of the sweep bus, but I don't want to be greedy.  

My sister sent me this scripture reference last week, and I found it most appropriate for this week.  I praise God that He does know my heart and intercedes for me in my weakness.

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.  Romans 8:26-27

Let's do this.  



   

No comments:

Post a Comment