Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

January Blahs

I'm by nature a joyful person.  I'm obnoxiously upbeat, always see the silver lining, my cup is half full, I bathe in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, my grass grows on the green side of the fence.  But, I'll admit it.  I have the January Blahs.  


I thought this was a phenomena unique to me, but apparently, the world at large suffers from it as well.  Something to do with the frenzy of the holidays, then the back to reality slap that the first of January brings.  


I've been holding mine at bay for the last few days, but it set in with a vengeance today.  At first, I wasn't sure why, but I think I've put my finger on the nose of the problem.  I need to run.  I need some long, soul cleansing, mind blowing, sweat inducing runs.  Lucky for me, I have a half marathon to train for.


I took some extra time off after the marathon to baby my knee.   The knee is better, I still think my problem stems from my ITB tightness, so I'm working on strengthening my quads and foam rolling like a crazy woman.  I hate strength training, by the way.  But, it seems I'll have to grit my teeth and bear it if I intend to run for life.  And, I do.  


A minor illness sidelined me this week for a couple of days, after hitting the ground running last week.  It made me anxious and mildly depressed.  I don't have a lot of mood lifters besides running, so I've been trying some different things this week to try to break out of the rut.  I've cleaned out part of my closet without showing any mercy.  I'm even going through my shoes!  I have a LOT of organizing to do this month.  Hopefully, I'll get it all done and have a major rummage sale that you're all invited to.  I've been listening to contemporary Christian music almost exclusively, and I'm in that state that Paul refers to as "constant prayer."   And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.  Ephesians 6:18



Not being able to run this week has made me especially thankful that I CAN run.  I think of so many of my friends and family who don't have that option and it makes me more determined than ever to run as long as God allows me to do so.  As I have prayed, I've been humbly thankful that God has brought this joyful activity into my life, and even given me the grace to love it.  




Looking forward to Sunday's long run.  Goodbye January Blahs!






1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post!!!! I tell you, after having that long lay off from running, I finish even my lousy runs feeling happy! God has surely blessed me in this arena.

    Good Luck getting back to the running. Have you considered taking a strength training class, they have some great ones...I find it is a bit more fun with others around. or maybe its the peer pressure that gets me.

    ReplyDelete